The following list has been compiled
by our staff as a source of invaluable
information for pet owners:
Kitten & Cat Care,
Puppy & Dog Care,
Owning a cat as a pet and companion can be very rewarding.
When getting a new cat/kitten it should be provided with a comfortable, dry, draught-free and quiet place where it can be left undisturbed. They initially can be timid and it is important they have a place they are free to escape to and hide and be allowed to explore their new environment in their own time.
Cats have complex dietary needs and these are best met by the provision of a high quality commercially prepared food appropriate to your cats age. Kitten food for kittens; cat food for cats!
Your cat needs safe toys and regular opportunities to interact with you and your family. It's also a good idea to provide a sturdy scratching post – especially if it is going to be an indoor cat.
And now the healthcare bit!
- Have your kitten vaccinated – this can be started from 9 weeks of age.
- Worm your cat/kitten – monthly until 6 months old then 3 monthly thereafter – all cats have parasites but with regular treatment these are not a problem.
- Microchip your kitten/cat – you may be surprised how little this costs.
- Have your cat neutered unless you are going to breed from it and this means both males and females.
- Treat your cat regularly for fleas – all year round as fleas love central heating.
- Insure your cat – it takes the financial worry out of serious problems.
pdsa.org.uk - invaluable advice and support for sick animals.
dogshome.net - website for charity Manchester Dog's Home
cats.org.uk - the UK's leading cat welfare charity